Print This Page

What steps should I take to protect the house in case of nursing home costs?

In Florida, you should keep your home. There are certain deeds that you could use like an enhanced ladybird deed, or if you have a caregiver living with you for two years, then you can add their name to the deed on that home. Otherwise, do not consider selling your home unless there’s no way that it could be cared for if you do go into nursing home. The home in the state of Florida is an exempt asset for purposes of qualifying for Medicaid. It’s something that you should talk to an elder law attorney about to determine how to handle the particular home that you live in.