Print This Page

What special planning should I do for my special needs child?

A specials needs child should not inherit assets directly. Their assets should be inherited and used for their benefit through the use of a special needs trust, either a separate stand alone special needs trust, or a special needs trust set up in a will. Which is funded then upon your death. The special needs trust is designed then through the use of a trustee to use those assets for the benefit of that special needs child, and nothing is given directly to the special needs child. There’s planning that must be done in order to preserve these assets for the use and benefit of the special needs child, especially if they’re receiving government benefits.