Print This Page

What if someone had filed a petition to appoint a guardian for me?

If someone files a petition to appoint a guardian for you, you’re going to have an attorney appointed for you to represent you and to tell the court what you want. Initially you’re going to have 3 people visit you, a doctor, a psychiatrist and a social worker and they’re going to report to the court what your capacity is with regard to whatever questions the court is being asked to determine. For example maybe you can’t handle fiances anymore but you are able to determine your own residence or your social environment. The committee which is comprised of those 3 people, will come in and ask you questions and determine if you have the ability to make those determinations still.