Print This Page

What if I already have a will and now I want to make changes?

There are two ways to make changes to a will. You can do a document called a codicil, which requires that you have two witnesses and a notary, which is an amendment to that will. Or, you can write a whole new will, which means you revoke the prior will and make the changes in the new will. What’s not appropriate is to make handwritten changes on your will and initial it. That’s not an effective way of making a change to your will. Many people try that and think they’ve done a good job, and they have not made any changes to their will.