Print This Page

What documents should I have in my estate plan that will help me plan for long term care?

You should definitely have a durable power of attorney to plan for long term care. You should have a designation of healthcare surrogate or a medical dura power of attorney and you should have a will because if you have a spouse and you want to preserve assets for that spouse, you’re going to want to do so through the assistance of a will in order to have what’s called a supplemental special needs trust in that will.

It is not necessary to have a trust. Typically a trust is going to interfere with your medicaid benefits and a living will is important to have so you can tell the world what you want to happen to your body, your mind, and the like when you can no longer tell the world in a medical context how you want to be cared for.