Print This Page

How can I leave specific items to particular people?

If you want to leave a specific item like your jewelry or your watches, or your dining room table, your china, you can identify those documents in a document typically referred to as a separate writing, or a personal property memorandum. That document will then control those tangibles, that assets, those personal assets to you. If you have that document in place, then you can change it as often as you want. It does not require witnesses, but always keep it up to date just in case you’ve given the asset away, you’ve crossed it off. Then you can change it any time as well. It should be kept amongst your estate planning documents, and I suggest that you give a copy to the attorney that did the estate plan for you, so that you have that accessible to your family when you pass away.