Print This Page

What happens if the person named in the will as executor (personal representative) dies first?

If the person you identified as your personal representative or executor of your will upon your death is no longer living, if there’s an alternate name, that alternate then will take place. Otherwise there’s a list in our Florida statutes that gives precedent over who would serve and it’s typically a family member, blood relative member.

If they’re a family member they don’t necessarily have to live in the state of Florida but otherwise there’s restrictions on who can serve as the alternate to your estate as the personal representative if you don’t have one named in your document after somebody dies.