Print This Page

Are there other ways of leaving property to my beneficiaries other than through a will or a trust?

You can leave assets to persons through the title, which is how you own the property. If you own property as a joint tenant with somebody else or the legal term tenants by the entirety, which means husband and wife, then upon your passing, by operation of law, that asset automatically goes to the person with whom you own the property, your spouse or the other joint tenant. If you want to designate assets to be transferred like that, then you’re doing it through the title and operation of law.