Are you the adult child of aging parents? Do you know if your loved ones have a current estate plan in place? Have you had any conversations with your aging parents about planning for their future? If you are uncertain of the plans of your aging parents it is important for you to know what they would want in the event of a sudden crisis or incapacity. We encourage you to set aside time, as soon as possible, to have conversations with your aging loved ones about their personal preferences for medical and long-term care.
Are you having a difficult time starting the conversation with your parents about their plans for their future healthcare? You could begin your conversation with these questions.
• Do you have someone you trust to make medical decisions on your behalf?
• Do you have someone you absolutely DO NOT want to make decisions for you?
• Do you want to use feeding tubes, life support, and other artificial life-saving devices?
• Is there any type of medical care you would NEVER want?
• If you were permanently disabled or incapacitated, what would help or take away from your “quality of life?”
• If you had a choice, would you prefer skilled nursing home care or in-home healthcare?
• If co-pays become excessive or insurance does not cover your treatment how would you want your family to pay for your care?
As your aging loved ones make their choices, they must be sure to document all of their decisions and choices in their estate plan. Your parents should make an appointment to meet with an experienced and qualified Florida estate planning attorney as soon as possible. Their estate planning attorney will be able to offer advice and assistance as they choose a healthcare decision maker.
Do you have questions? Elder and Estate Planning Attorneys, PA, is a law office small enough to provide personal service but large enough to provide service in Jupiter, as well as Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, and Indian River Counties in Florida. Our law firm will guide you through legal challenges involving elder law, estate planning, trusts, veterans benefits, real estate, and more. We encourage you to contact us and schedule a meeting with our attorneys.