Tag: financial assistance

If you are a parent of a child with special needs, what you need to know

If you’re a parent of a child with special needs, you may be wondering if you can leave financial assistance without losing important benefits, such as Medicaid, Social Security, and the other forms of assistance they might be entitled to.

Sadly, public benefits programs are often inadequate and need to be supplemented with other resources. Anné Desormier-Cartwright of Elder and Estate Planning Attorneys PA says, “If you want to enhance the quality of life for a disabled loved one or family member, a special needs trust is specifically identified to meet certain additional needs for the beneficiary. Thankfully, money given to a special needs trust shields disabled persons from these income limits because they won’t technically own the assets. Instead, under this estate planning technique, the trust will.

An estate planning attorney can help you determine the right type of trust and how to construct it so that a special needs person gets every benefit they’re entitled to, giving you the peace of mind knowing that your family member has the support he or she needs, both now and in the future.”

Elder and Estate Planning Attorneys PA is a law office small enough to provide personal service, but large enough to handle all of your estate and planning needs.